POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Media and clipped_by, intersection and difference : Media and clipped_by, intersection and difference Server Time
3 Aug 2024 12:19:15 EDT (-0400)
  Media and clipped_by, intersection and difference
From: Bjorn Jonsson
Date: 21 Feb 2004 19:23:19
Message: <MPG.1aa206d25403ff9989691@news.povray.org>
I'm messing with media, trying to create a rocket exhaust plume. I'm
more or less a beginner when it comes to media stuff. I've been
moderately successful, however I'm having a problem:

#declare exhaust_half=
intersection  {
   sphere {
      <0,0,0>,2
      hollow
      no_shadow
      texture { pigment { rgbt 1 } }
      interior  {
         media {
            emission 0.9   method 3 intervals 10
            density  {
               denT3
            }
         }
         media  {
            absorption .2 method 3 intervals 10
            density {
               denT3
            }
         }
      }
   }
// Cut away negative y; doesn't do what I want:
   cylinder {<0,0,0>,<0,1.01,0>,1000}
}

What I'm trying to get here is a media cloud that is not a complete
sphere but one half of a sphere. The problem is that if I look at this
from below (camera's y<0) the 'bottom' of the media cloud looks black,
as if it's opaque. It doesn't matter if I use intersection, difference
or clipped_by. How can I get a media cloud that is not a complete sphere
but only for example the part of the sphere with y>0 ?

--
Bjorn Jonsson / bjj### [at] ZZZmmediais
Address changed to avoid spam. Remove YYY and